Submission Type:

1. Your registered Boat Name: Wetstuff o.b.o Flying Swede

2. Race Day #: 1

3. Group: Red

4. Race #: 1

5. Time (in Replay): 25:01

6. Rule(s) applicable: Rule 2 & Redress

7. Skipper(s) involved: Blummin Ol' Messer & Flying Swede

8. Description: Rounding the final windward mark Blummin on port and collision course with Nosail on stbd, Blummin going very slow on port right on the mark, Flying Swede approaching to round on stbd has nowhere to go but crash on Blummin and get pushed on the mark receiving a 30.1. At the time Flying Swede was in 8th place to round 7th before Blummin, we are asking for a redress as his speed was severely impacted and receiving a pen he could not cancel

9. Print Screen attached (required for a valid PROTEST):
Screenshot from replay
Screenshot from replay
FlyingP2.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 8813 times
10. Replay attached (optional): Host replays sent to RC
Legsy

Re: MLS S8 D1 R1, Red Server, Redress

Post by Legsy »

Facts:
Flying had very few options open to him, and PC finds that he didn't deliberately hit Blummin on purpose. Since BLM is gieven a DNe, Flying is entitled to RDG, and based on the placement before the incident, Flying is given RDG as 8 points.

Decision:
FlyingSwede RDG, given as 8 points.

Legsy for MLS PC
kiwi_bardy

Post by kiwi_bardy »

Does this decisuion set a precedent for the rest of the competition that a protest or redress request is not invalidated by quoting the incorrect rule number?

The redress request says: "Flying Swede approaching to round on stbd has nowhere to go but crash on Blummin and get pushed on the mark receiving a 30.1."

30.1 is for OCS at the start.

31.1 is for hitting a mark.
Wetstuff

Post by Wetstuff »

kiwi_bardy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 am Does this decisuion set a precedent for the rest of the competition that a protest or redress request is not invalidated by quoting the incorrect rule number?

The redress request says: "Flying Swede approaching to round on stbd has nowhere to go but crash on Blummin and get pushed on the mark receiving a 30.1."

30.1 is for OCS at the start.

31.1 is for hitting a mark.
OMG how did I make this mistake? :shock:
Seriously now, do you think what is written in explanation should be taken literally. What if I wrote, Boat A hit Boat B and stop, so protest because go back (?) or something with even worse English?

There is a section before that you have to fill in the Rules applicable, that sould be sufficient, the PC interprets the Facts accordingly anyway and apply any other rules applicable.

I hope you are not looking to go back to the AYC days Brandon where one had to get some legal representation (yes we saw that) to fight some protests.

Keep it real :arrow:
kiwi_bardy

Post by kiwi_bardy »

Calm down. I am not attacking you. I am just trying to clarify what the Protest committee will and will not throw a protest out over.

In previous seasons I have seen protests thrown out for incorrectly filled out forms, missing or inaccurate/incorrect information. One example that comes to mind was when the incorrect time on the replay was given.

The way the system works is that if they throw your protest out for incorrect information, that's it. You don't get an opportunity to say "Oh shit, sorry, that was a typo."

So I want to know what their attitude is to when you write the wrong rule number.
Wetstuff

Post by Wetstuff »

By having observed the PC work in all previous seasons, I think giving out the first basic information should be done accurately for a very simple reason that the PC does not have to look and find through the whole of the replay (or replays) the evidence of someone's protest, it could mean that if someone has the timing wrong I could spend 25 minutes of my life waiting for that incident to appear on my screen.

[quote]1. Your registered Boat Name:
2. Race Day #:
3. Group: Red
4. Race #:
5. Time (in Replay):
6. Rule(s) applicable: [/quote]

8. As far as the description is concerned, I think that it is supplementary to the PC "Facts Found" and does not form part of the decision, in a way that someone could be a dyslexic, non English proficient, or whatever.

Return to “Race Day 1”