Green

4.Race (number):

5.Time (in Replay):

6.Rule(s) applicable:
18.2.a

7.Boat(s) involved:
Jack and Toppen

8.Description:
Jack is on starboard tack, Toppen is on port tack. Toppen tacks inside Jack and completes his tack at time 8.30. At this time Toppen is clearly inside the zone and therefore the 18.2a is applicable, cf. rule 18.3. According to rule 18.3 Toppen may not force Jack above close hauled. At time 8.38ish Toppen goes above closed hauled fetching mark and thereby forces Jack to get above close-hauled which is in violation with rule 18.3.
Toppen should be DSQ for being in violation with rule 18.3.

Furthermore if the committee finds that Toppen is outside the zone when tack to starboard is completed then rule 18.2a is applicable, but the other RSS-rules still applies. Toppen is luffing very hard and fast to fetch the mark and Jack is unable to react and thereby Toppen is in violation with rule 16.1. Toppen starts his luff at 8.36.75 and Jack receives penalty at 8.37.40. The timespan is less than a second - that is not enough time according to rule 16.1
In this situation, Toppen should be DSQ for being in violation with rule 16.1.

9.Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):
No

10.Replay attached (required):
No
Toppen

Re: Season 12 Race Day 2, Group green, Race 5, cancel explanation

Post by Toppen »

Hi BatBoat,

Firstly :
I want to say that I will not take part of the Protest Committee for this case because I'm (for sure) involved.

Secondly :
You submitted your post at 22:36 CET.
So, according to MLS Rule 3.1.2, I think Protect Committee should not spend time on this case because it is out of time.
3.1.2 Explanations/Manual Protests/Redress Requests submissions, or withdrawal of Manual Protest, must reach the PC before 20:00 CET/CEST the day after the race day.
Thirdly :
Anyway, my tack was out of zone, so RRS18.3 doesn't apply, and I can luff without passing Head To Wind (HTW).
On his side, Jack must keep clear and give me enough room to pass topmark under RRS18.2(a).

On my replay (host replay - you can see it attached), there wasn't any contact (boats & masts) between Jack and me.
I will be interested in having Jack's replay to know if there was a contact on his replay.

Concerning RRS16.1, as you can see on picture below, I warned Jack that I will luff with an "Up" call.
So, he knew that I was gonna luff in order to pass topmark.

But as I said, I think Protest Committee has lots of works after day 2, and PC mustn't waste time on a post out of time...

Have a good night, see you
Toppen
MLS S12_Day2_GreenServer_Race2.Replay.Gbx
(2.91 MiB) Downloaded 276 times
PC Admin

Re: Season 12 Race Day 2, Group green, Race 5, cancel explanation

Post by PC Admin »

Facts:
Explanation received after the time limit.

Conclusion:
Jack to be scored DSQ in the race.

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 2”