10. Replay attached (recommended):
Attachments
Yvonne 2(03'01''99)cancelpen.Replay.Gbx
(3.85 MiB) Downloaded 165 times
euphoria

Re: Season 14, Race Day 4, Group Blue, Race 1, Cancellation Explanation

Post by euphoria »

Facts:
Djonny established overlap just to leeward of Donmasino, and luffed right after. There was immediate contact.
Djonny took a one-turn penalty.

Conclusion:
Donmasino broke rule 11 but is exonerated as he was not given room to keep clear.
Djonny broke rule 15.

Decision:
No action to be taken.

The protest committee
Djonny

Post by Djonny »

I am surprised by the conclusion of the PC and I understand that they have a lot of work, but the situation was decided by the VSK umpire in a completely different way for a reason.
I didn’t want to give the pen11 to Don and lose speed on this contact and not be able to make a right tack with the Don on the windward side. So I decided to go to the upwind side of Don, but as soon as I did, Don started to accelerate, rolled to the left and his stern hit me in the bow from the leeward side - so there was rule 11 for me and rule 15 for Don.
I completed my 360-degree turn, but I believe that Don should have completed his 360s.
Djonny

Post by Djonny »

In this video, the situation is very poorly visible. Now I can't post my replay, but the decision of the VSK umpire speaks in support of my words.
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

The videos are only for information and not primarily used by the protest committee.
Your replay is not interesting if you question how Donmasino is judged.
His replay is posted with his submission, take a look if needed.

For your information, Donmasino sailed dead straight, no change of course or speed. What you write is completely wrong.
You establish overlap 1/4 boat width to leeward of him, you luff and less than a second later there is contact.
Because of a wave, your bow initially pass over his port side of the stern, and your bow then lands on top of his stern.

For your information, VSK is not right with regards to overlap. There is physical overlap before VSK change from rule 12 to rule 11.
In MLS, the boats are judged under rule 11 according to physical overlap, just like real water sailing.
The fact that your rules panel says 12 is irrelevant.
And the fact that VSK gives 11 and 15 only means it was contact, not that you were clear astern before you luffed.

The fact that VSK gave him a 15 also means that even VSK must have see a leeward overlap from you.
Otherwise the rules transition would have gone from you being clear astern to you being windward boat, and he would have had constant right of way.

If you want to have a penalty for breaking rule 11 instead of rule 15, you can have that, but it doesn't make any difference.
Your bow landed on his stern just to starboard of his center line.
Seeing it that way, he got right of way from your actions, so rule 15 does not apply, and he didn't break any rules and doesn't need exoneration

There is no need to look at these things in detail. When a boat establish overlap just to leeward of another boat sailing straight, luffs immediately and there is contact, then the boat luffing is always at fault. This can easily be judged from the youtube video.

If there is something you don't understand, please ask questions!

Harald

Return to “Race Day 4”