Season 14, Race Final Day 5, Group red, Race 3, manual protest vs Thor

Wetstuff

Re: Season 14, Race Final Day 5, Group red, Race 3, manual protest vs Thor

Post by Wetstuff »

The +1 pt penalty was a measure introduced against mostly players spamming the chat with P P P in previous years in Blues League and start of MLS and therefore harassing another player with useless threats and chat.
I'm not sure if I would agree giving +1 for a well documented and structurally written correct protest that is not upheld, but I understand that they idea is that you Protest if you are most certainly surely that another boat broke a rule, otherwise you have the chance to withdraw protest after watching the replay.
BogDan

Post by BogDan »

I am still sure that Authors of MLS rules did not want to punish "+1p" the sailor which have written P Boatname to late. The idea "+1 p" started to work before videorecording was introduced by PC. So Author of the rule could not wrire a rule which is not possible to check by PC. VSK replays can not give such a possibility. Rule 61.1 (a) can be verificated only by videorecording.
By the way Polish Team still is using only replays so about this 13, 17, 24 sec we only know from PC explanation..

Regards

BogDan
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

If you really think that the MLS RC wanted to give +1 to all invalid protests, except late protest hails, then be my guest, but it's not logic. It doesn't change anything anyway, as long as the rule is written the way it is.

It's not correct that you need a video to see that your hail was late. It is spottet that from your screenshot of the hail, as it was made after the penalty Thor got with Nomercy, which happened around 40 seconds after the mast hit. People also get an idea when there is a lot of other chat before the actual hail.

No team need a video of their own race if they know they hailed protest at the first reasonable opportunity. They only a need a screenshot. And if they take this screenshot right after hailing, then they also have documented the time of the hail.

I think we have spent enough time now on a +1 that doesn't make any difference on anything.
A few seasons ago, I got +1 points for a protest I did not file and never hailed for on the water... It's not worth arguing for.

Instead be constructive, look head and suggest rules changes :).

Harald
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Wetstuff wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:43 pm I'm not sure if I would agree giving +1 for a well documented and structurally written correct protest that is not upheld
This is they way I would have preferred it too, like we had in the NC regattas a decade ago:
"10.4 If the PC finds that the protested boat without doubt has not broken a rule, and the protestor should have known this, then the protestor will be penalized with 1 point, which will be added to her series score."

Harald

Return to “Grand Finale”