Submission Type: Cancel

1. Your registered boat name: Jammin

2. Group: Red

3. Race (number): 2

4. Time of incident (in replay): 24:53

5. Rule(s) applicable: 11, 16.1

6. Boat(s) involved: Jammin, Defender, Blue Sweden

7. Description:
On a tight starboard spin reach Defender to Lee, Jammin to windward of Defender, Bluesweden to windward of Jammin. No boats ahead dropped spin early as the rounding was to windward so no need, only 2 boats behind our group dropped spin later than defender did.

We where all trying to sail as close to the wind with ought losing control,'on the edge'. I had to keep an eye on Blue Sweden and Defender. Blue had just done a mini broach, Defender did a smaller mini broach. I did not notice Defenders no3 sail being raised as it is difficult to see on these boats (eyes also distracted elsewhere). The first indication I had was when his spinnaker dropped, at the same time Defender also luffed towards me. At this time I pressed sail 3, I then cautiously tried a small luff to avoid when our masts touched. Defender got a 16.1 and I got an 11 pens.

Consider the course leg, how other boats ahead where sailing it and the fact I had a boat to windward that I had to be aware of and not to broach into breaking 16.1. I believe Defender did break 16.1 by not giving enough time to respond to his luff. If I had luffed more or any earlier I would have broached, hit Defenders mast and broke 16.1 with Blue Sweden. Therefore I asked for a cancel and Defender took his pen.

8. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):

9. Replay attached (recommended):
Attachments
Wind on the Water - MLS(03'01''79).Replay.Gbx
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
euphoria

Re: Season 16, Race Day 2, Group Red, Race 2, Cancel Explanation

Post by euphoria »

Facts:
Defender and Jammin overlapped on starboard tack with Jammin 0.5 boat width to windward. Defender makes a small and slow luff. Jammin does not react and 3 seconds later there is contact.

Conclusion:
Jammin did not keep clear as windward boat and broke rule 11.

Decision:
Jammin is disqualified in the race.

Note:
If necessary, the boat to windward may release her sails to avoid broaching. The luff from Defender did not cause an unseamanlike maneuver for Jammin.

The protest committee

Return to “Race Day 2”