Definition of "fair"

Goffe

Definition of "fair"

Post by Goffe »

There is a lot of talk about being fair or sailing fair. The word fair is treacherous. It can mean different things to different people in different cultures. World Sailing's: "Racing Rules of Sailing" (RRS) which governs most acknowledged regattas, is written in English and then translated to other languages.

So, what does the word fair mean?

Webster’s Dictionary (unabridged)
fair, a.; comp. fairer ; superl. fairest,

8. according to the rules; as, a fair defeat.

The Oxford Encyclopedic English Dictionary
fair1 /feə(r)/ adj., adv., n., & v. —adj.
1 just, unbiased, equitable; in accordance with the rules.

To me, this makes it crystal clear. To sail fair is to sail by the rules (RRS). It might not always be nice or kind, but as long as you don't break any rules, you are sailing fair.

Goffe
Kenny

Re: Definition of "fair"

Post by Kenny »

Couldn't agree more Goffe. I believe that when most people write "FAIR" they mean be nice, kind and or whatever suits their own personal best interest.

The RRS and cases within the casebook have given us all a pretty good picture as to what fair sailing is and is not; the rest is personal opinion rooted in narcissistic self-serving ego.
Johnpap71

Post by Johnpap71 »

For me fair is the one who is racing without "using " the rules but having in mind to do his best in the course. The rules are there for protecting his rights. When an athlete is using the rules for doing his best then he is very close to the unfair zone.
The rules are there for giving to the protest comitte the tools for giving fair solutions after hearing what happened. They are not there for bing used from athletes.
Sorry for my bad English.
Goffe

Post by Goffe »

With all due respect…
John, what you say is exactly what I meant in my initial post. You have your interpretation of what is fair, other people have other interpretations.
We can't have it like that. We have to have ONE COMMON definition and interpretation.
I am not a rules expert and I don't think I'm known to use the rules "to the extreme", BUT I have to accept there should be only one definition of fair sailing. To me that is: As long as you don't break any rules in World Sailing's "Racing Rules of Sailing", you are sailing fair.

Return to “General, Views & Ideas”