Submission Type:

1. Your registered Boat Name: Defender

2. Race Day: 2

3. Group: RED

4. Race : 2

5. Time (in Replay): 22.15

6. Rule(s) applicable: 13

7. Skipper(s) involved: Duffy

8. Description: Duffy forces entry into the mark, having no space. Defender is stopped. Defender does 360 and protest Duffy.

9. Print Screen attached: (required for a valid PROTEST)

10. Replay attached: (optional)
Attachments
I'd Rather Be Dead(03'01''75).Replay.Gbx
Replay
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 405 times
Screenshot
Screenshot
ScreenShot04.bmp (7.91 MiB) Viewed 8935 times
duffy

Re: Defender protest Duffy - Day_2-Server_Red-Race_2

Post by duffy »

Dear Defender and PC
Defender and Duffy were approaching wind ward mark on port tack. Both boats had to tack to starboard to fetch the mark.
Duffy had windward and inside overlap to Defender when Defender was entering the zone. Therefore Defender had to give mark room to Duffy (rule 18.2.).
On starboard tack Nick-Cromit was fetching the mark, and Defender could stay clear of Nick-Cromit by ducking Nick-Cromit staying on port tack leaving room for Duffy also to stay clear of Nick-Cormit (rule 19.2.) .. or by tacking and hailing RTT (rule 20.1.a.).
Defender started to tack without hailing RTT (rule 20.1.a.) and while tacking - passing head to wind, but was not on a close-hauled course yet - Defender hit Duffy. At this moment Defender was under rule 13. Duffy is "not required to anticipate that another boat will break a rule" (CASE 27).

Please notice that Duffy managed to tack to starboard fetching the mark without Nick-Cromit having to sail above close-hauled to avoid contact with Duffy. Hence, Duffy had enough room to enter the zone, tacking to starboard and fetching the mark without breaking any rule to Nick-Cormit.

In my best view, Nadeo Umpire was right in judging that Defender was breaking rule 13.
Legsy

Post by Legsy »

Facts:

Defender and Duffy were approaching wind ward mark on port tack. Both boats had to tack to starboard to fetch the mark.
Duffy had windward and inside overlap to Defender when Defender was entering the zone. Therefore Defender had to give mark room to Duffy (rule 18.2.b)

Decision:

Defender breaks 18.2.b
Defender DSQ
No further action against Duffy

MLS PC
defender

Post by defender »

Just a clarification ... what rule (RRS or MLS) I broke because I'm disqualified, if I don't ask for the cancellation of pen, but I did the 360?
I wrote "P" in chat and, as per regulation, I gave the explanation.
Legsy

Post by Legsy »

Thank you for the question...we will look again and issue an explanation.

MLS PC
Legsy

Post by Legsy »

Case re-opened by MLS PC

Case reviewed and a different conclusion was reached.

New ruling as follows:

Duffy had windward and inside overlap to Defender when Defender was entering the zone. Therefore Defender had to give mark room to Duffy (rule 18.2.b). Until Defender starts to tack, Defender is giving Duffy mark room.
When Defender starts to tack and pass HTW, RRS 18.2b doesn’t apply any longer. So therefor Duffy is no longer entitled to room to tack, in order to round the mark. But at the same time, Defender is under RRS 13, which Defender breaks with regards to Duffy.
Defender takes a pen turn, in accordance with the rules.

Decision.
Defender breaks RRS 13, but exonerated himself by taking a pen turn.
Defender + 1 point for on water protest
Duffy no action.

MLS PC
defender

Post by defender »

Thanks.
Remember to change the result.
GW!

Return to “Race Day 2”