LG07

MLS Season 11, Day 3, Blue Server, Race 3, Protest LG'07 vs Donmasino

Post by LG07 »

Submission Type: Protest

1.Your registered Boat Name: LG'07

2.Race Day: 3

3.Group (colour): Blue

4.Race (number): 3

5.Time (in Replay): 6:50.97 (very precise !)

6.Rule(s) applicable: 13

7.Skipper(s) involved: LG'07 and Donmasino

8.Description: LG'07 completes tack at 6:43, and then sails starboard. Donmasino arrives port and tacks, with room to do so. But Donmasino tacks too close and masts touch, with no move of LG07. LG'07 looses 2 kts of boatspeed in the incident.

9.Print Screen attached (required for a valid PROTEST):
ScreenShot21.bmp
ScreenShot21.bmp (4 MiB) Viewed 9139 times

note 1 : In the anger of loosing speed, I did'nt write P Donmasino in chat but only "Mast" and then "P". Afterwards I wanted to write P Donmasino but the response of Donmasino makes obvious he is the recipient of protest. Moreover I was afraid it would have been considered as a "double protest". I hope The race jury will be comprehensive for that.

10.Replay attached (optional):
Rebecka-MLS(03'01''38).Replay.Gbx
(814.56 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
note 2 : The contact occurs in my replay, if you can check on my file to be sure, as it seems Donmasino saw no contact (cf. screenshot).
Albervita

Re: MLS Season 11, Day 3, Blue Server, Race 3, Protest LG'07 vs Donmasino

Post by Albervita »

From Albervita on behalf of Don Masino.

From replay one could see :
- contact, if any, was between sails and not between mast
- there was not significant nor evident loss on the speed of LG07

In any case a P without the skipper name is just a letter and shall not be considered as a valid Protest warning; all the rest are simply deductions.
LG07

Post by LG07 »

Hi Alberto,

What is my interest in submitting my protest, even if I know I forget a single word in the chat and therefore risking +1 ? I could have withdrawn it !
Masthit is obvious and I really lost 2 knots of speed in the incident ! With no way of accelerating after !

I hope the race committe will be comprehensive !
PC Admin

Post by PC Admin »

Host Replay:
lg_vs_don_hostreplay.PNG
lg_vs_don_hostreplay.PNG (273.25 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
Lg's Replay:
lg_vs_don_Lg_replay.PNG
lg_vs_don_Lg_replay.PNG (253.14 KiB) Viewed 9082 times

@Don Masino and Albervita as the team-captain, please bring in your REPLAY .
Albervita

Post by Albervita »

Ok
Mast hit occurred.
Still I don't consider a simple P like a valid protest.
However , since the PC reserve always the right to examine the case even in case of no protest or invalid protest, its up to the PC to take the relevant decision : Valid protest = DSQ or invalid protest = redress possible in case of significant damage (ie loss of speed) .
Thanks for your attention
Albervita
donmasino

Post by donmasino »

I agree with Albervita it's
PC Admin

Post by PC Admin »

@Donmasino and Albervita (as Teamcaptain)

Hi Donmasino, Hi Albervita,

to collect more facts in this case it would be helpfull if Donmasion can give an answer to the following Question:

Donmasino, in your perception, was the "P" in the chat hailed by LG adressed to you ?

MLS PC
Albervita

Post by Albervita »

Hi MLS PC,
the answer seems obvious given that LG wrote "mast" (in the perception of LG should be "mast hit" or what?); however the DonMasino perception, as written, was not to have hit the LG mast. That's it.
In my (real and virtual) sailing I never saw judgement based upon psycological issues :-)
Anyhow, please be assured that any decision you will take will be accepted; as you may imagine we have something else heavier to think in this moment.
Cheers
Albervita and Don Masino
LG07

Post by LG07 »

Hi Alberto, hi Don Masino, hi MLS PC,
Facts are not to be discussed, it's obvious there was a mast hit. Like in real water when there is contact between two boats both boats feel it, especially for two boats of same size. I also think DonMasino also felt the mast hit (I think but can not assert it). I also think DonMasino's answer make obvious he knows he is the recipient of the protest.
I agree my protest is not in proper form. As I said I didn't want to write a second "P Donmasino" in chat risking "double protest" and had no option but to finish race.
And in this case, there is nothing personnal vs Don Masino & Alberto, I just express my point of view.
To conclude I totally agree with Alberto and Don Masino, I will accept the MLS PC decision whatever it will be and won't argue, there are really more important things than a game, especially in these times.

Cheers
Jean-Charles (LG'07)
PC Admin

Post by PC Admin »

Fact:
> LG'07 hailed "P" on the water, but did not identify the protestee

Decision:
> Protest dismissed
> No further actions against any of the boats

Additional comments from the protest committee:
> The MLS rules requires that the protestee is identified in the race chat
> The protestee has in this hearing claimed that there were no valid hail for protest
> He has also stated that he only understood that it was a question whether there was a mast collision, which he replied negative to
> The protest committee has the right to file a protest on it's own initiative, but not as a result of an invalid protest (RRS 60.3a)
> The protestor is not given +1 point, as according to the MLS rules this can only be given if it was a valid hail for protest

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 3”