MLS Season 12 Race Day 1 Group Red R3

Post by Jammy Dodger »

Submission Type: Protest

1.Your registered Boat Name: Jammin Dovetails

2.Race Day: 1

3.Group (colour): Red

4.Race (number): 3

5.Time (in Replay): 12.37.00

6.Rule(s) applicable: 10... 13... 18.3...

7.Boat(s) involved: Salento and Ryhoo

8.Description: Jammin Dovetails and Ryhoo are approaching the w/w mark on stb. Salento is approaching slightly ahead on port. Rhyoo hails stbd to Salento. Salento continues on port and attempts to tack and round the mark in front of Ryhoo and Jammin. His stern contacts Jammins bow causing a marked reduction in Jammins speed. No pens from nadeo so Jammin protests Salento for breaking 18.3 at least.

9.Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest): Y

10.Replay attached (required): y
Attachments
Jammin vs Salento RD1 G red R3.PNG
Jammin vs Salento RD1 G red R3.PNG (853.26 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
MLS Day 1 R3 Group Red Jammin v Salento.Gbx
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 312 times
Albervita

Re: MLS Season 12 Race Day 1 Group Red R3

Post by Albervita »

I anticipate that this is not an explanation whatsover but just to understand.
The action seen from the Jammin replay and my replay (I was hosting) are slightly different. From the Jamming replay one can see a slight contact that on the contrary cannot be seen in my replay. True is that in both one can see a little stop of Jamming boat.
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

The Protest Committee has access to all host replays and will use this as source of information when judging the boat in question, if the replay of this boat is not available. However the best thing for a protested boat to do, is to upload their own replay's, if there is a borderline situation (see MLS Rule 2.5). This also applies for the other boat in cancel explanations, so it's a good habit to make sure all team members save their own replays after each race.

Harald
MLS Protest Committee Chairman
Salento

Post by Salento »

Good afternoon.
My replay, which confirms what I saw during the race, does not show any contact between my boat and Jammin's boat. Similarly, only in the replay and not during the regatta, we see the slight stop of Jammin's boat.
I don't think I forced Jammin to close hauled and it is not I who prevent Jammin from tacking but Ryh00.
Not having detected contact during the race and not having received any penalties from Nadeo, I continued the race.
Attachments
Replay_Salento_MLS.Gbx
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by Salento on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Hi Salento, it seems like you have uploaded a clip file, not a replay file.

Harald
Salento

Post by Salento »

Sorry, now I think I have the right one.
PC Admin

Post by PC Admin »

Facts:
Salento on port layline tacked to starboard around the mark.
Jammin Dovetails had entered the zone on starboard was holding the course on closehauled, pointing 1.5 boat widths to winwdard of the mark.
When Salento completed her tack and was parallell to Jammin, the gap between the boats were 3/4 boat width.
Salento beared away around the mark, and the distance between the boats were 1/2 boat width.
Jammin Dovetails did not change course.

Conclusion:
Salento kept clear while tacking under rule 13.
Salento gave Jammin room to keep clear after tacking under rule 15.
Salento did not force Jammin over closehauled (rule 18.3).
No rules broken by any of the boats.

Note:
According to Jammins replay, the boats crashed, and apparently Salento was breaking rule 15/18.3 for over rotating. But this was only due to extra ordinary lag, apparently moving his stern more than 1/2 boat width closer to Jammin. Salento is judged based on the host replay (in absence of his own, knowing his own replay shows even smother moves for his boat than the host replay). Jammin is not given +1 point due to the extra ordinary lag. Lag is a part of the game, and when maneuvering boats has to account for normal lag, but this was without doubt to be considered as more than one can expect.

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 1”