Submission Type: E

1.Your registered Boat Name:Donmasino

2.Race Day:1

3.Group (colour):red

4.Race (number): 3

5.Time (in Replay):12.50

6.Rule(s) applicable:18.3

7.Boat(s) involved:Duffy

8.Description:at 12.50 minutes of the replay Duffy reach port tack and to turn and overlap leeward Duffy is under
18.3 Tacking in the Zone If a boat in the zone of a mark to be left to port passes head to wind from port to starboard tack and is then fetching the mark, she shall not cause a boat that has been on starboard tack since entering the zone to sail above close-hauled to avoid contact and she shall give mark-room if that boat becomes overlapped inside her. When this rule applies between boats, rule 18.2 does not apply between them.

the subsequent 16.1 penalty that Nadeo gives me is due to Duffy's unsuccessful maneuver

9.Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):

10.Replay attached (required):
Attachments
Second Skin(03'01''20)cancellazionemls.Replay.Gbx
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
duffy

Re: Request Cancel explnation DonMasino MLS 12-3 RED

Post by duffy »

DonMasino approaches Windward mark on starboard tack.
Duffy approaches on port tack and have to tack in the zone to fetch the mark.

At replay time 12.58 Duffy has finished tacking to starboard and is on starboard tack with inside overlap on DonMasino - thereby applies 18.3.
At 13.00 Duffy luffs up to fetch the mark, but Duffy is still clearly on starboard tack, and Duffy is NOT causing DonMasino to sail above close-hauled: as a matter of fact DonMasino NEVER alter her course to starboard from this moment. Thereby Duffy has not broken rule 18.3.
Quiet the opposite DonMasino alter her course to port af 13.04.65 and hits Duffy, and at 13.06.35 DonMasino gets a pen 16.1. for not giving Duffy room to stay clear.
A pen to DonMasino is correct in my opinion.

I have attached my replay of race MLS 12-3 Second Skin
Attachments
MLS12-3 Second Skin.Replay.Gbx
(3.37 MiB) Downloaded 327 times
donmasino

Re: Request Cancel explnation

Post by donmasino »

watching the replay carefully I would like to add that at 13.03 there was a mast contact with duffy, and so I think Duffy should be protested about 18.3
PC Admin

Re: Request Cancel explnation

Post by PC Admin »

Facts:
Donmasino enter the zone on starboard 2 boat widths above the layline, pointing just to the right of the mark
Duffy enter the zone on port and tacks to leeward of Donmasino.
Duffy luffs around the mark 5 seconds after tacking.
The masts hit 2 seconds after Duffy luffed.
Donmasino had not altered course since Duffy tacked.
Then Donmasino bears away around the mark, and their hulls collide.
Donmasino got a penalty under rule 16.1 from the VSK Umpire which was cancelled.

Conclusion:
Duffy tacked to leeward of Donmasino and gave him room to keep clear under rule 15.
Duffy tacked in the zone, which means he should not force Donmasino over clausehauled to avoid him under rule 18.3
Donmasino would not have needed to luff over closehauled, as he was over the layline, which means 18.3 was not broken.
When Duffy luffed around the mark, Donmasino had room to keep clear.
Donmasino failed to keep clear and broke rule 11.
Donmasino to be DSQ'ed in the race.

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 1”