Submission Type: Cancel Explanation

1. Your registered Boat Name: FIDUCIT III VSKFunsters

2. Race Day:4

3, Group (colour):red

4. Race (number):12

5. Time (in Replay):12:46:55

6. Rule(s) applicable:18.2.A, 16.1, 10, 2

7. Boat(s) involved: Valodea The Expendables

8. Description: Fiducit III fetching the topmark on port tack with slyfox TTW 2012 clear behind and Valodea windward of me also clear behind and also on port tack. While entering the zone ( or outside ? ) i had to tack and keep clear of stb boat blue sweden TTW 2012.At replay time 12:38:04 i started my tack and finished it at 12:41:82. At 12:43:93 Valodea still on port tack hit my mast and started to tack. There wasnt any room to do a tack or entering in a seamanlike way. At 12:46:59 the ingame umpire gave me a penalty 18.2.A. In my opinion this was a wrong pen because Valodea broke rule 10, 16.1 and maybe rule 2. Her tack wasnt complete at the moment we hit each other. I had to keep clear of blue sweden and couldnt keep clear of Valodea and react to her immediatly rounding of the buoy. As you can see, she stopped me at the mark, before the umpire gave the penalty to me. I asked for cancel this penalty and Valodea did cancel. I protested her but withdraw my protest in another post.

9. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):n

10. Replay attached (recommended):y
Attachments
All Along the Watchtower - MLS(03'01''08).Replay.Gbx
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 264 times
Valodea

Re: Cancel Explanation MLS 13 Raceday 4, race 12, red server

Post by Valodea »

Hi Committee
After looking on the replays I can see the mast hit with FIDUCIT_III, and I was still on port.
I agree with FIDUCIT_III, it was a wrong pen.

Hans
Valodea
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Facts:
Fiducit and Valodea approaching the mark on port, Fiducit to leeward.
Fiducit completes a tack to starboard when Valodea cannot pass astern of Fiducit and cannot pass on the wrong side of the mark.
Valodea tacked around the mark and the boats hit.

Conclusion:
Fiducit did not give Valodea room to keep clear.
Fiducit broke RRS Rule 15 and shall be scored DSQ in the race.

MLS Protest Committee
FIDUCIT_III

Post by FIDUCIT_III »

Dear PC,
at least I will accept your decision. But in my eyes Valodea brought herself to and in this situation. For me your decision in this situation says if she waits long enough until she can't go behind or tack in front, she gets all rights at the mark. Valodea had so many time to go behind me before approaching the zone of no return. Can you please explain me this, just for learning? Thx and cheers Dierk
FIDUCIT_III

Post by FIDUCIT_III »

Sorry, one more question. What about the Masthit before Valodea started to tack?? That isn't a pen for Valodea?
Sorry, but I am really confused about the short conclusion. I had to tack cause of stb boats. So I had also no chance to go behind anyone and had to tack. So why am I not exonerated like Valodea?
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

FIDUCIT_III wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:36 pm For me your decision in this situation says if she waits long enough until she can't go behind or tack in front, she gets all rights at the mark.
You are right, she get "all the rights at the mark" (or more correct, room to keep clear), that's how the rules work. Port doesn't have to do anything before starboard has completed her tack. So no need to anticipate that the other boat soon will have right of way rules wise, even though you know it will happen. But as soon as the tack is completed, she has to pass astern if that is possible, or pass on the wrong side of the mark if that is possible (see the Djonny case).
FIDUCIT_III wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:55 pm What about the Masthit before Valodea started to tack?? That isn't a pen for Valodea?
The decision says that boats hit, and the mast is a part of the boat, so it's already considered. You have to give Valodea room to get her mast around the mark too, so if only your mast hit, then you have also broken rule 15.
I had to tack cause of stb boats. So I had also no chance to go behind anyone and had to tack. So why am I not exonerated like Valodea?
I think your view is different than the PC. Blue Sweden and Salento had been on starboard for more than 20 seconds when you tacked, so you had no problem passing behind these starboard boats.

Hope this helps. Btw, this is no borderline situation.

Regards,
Harald
MLS PC Chairman
FIDUCIT_III

Post by FIDUCIT_III »

Dear Harald,
Thanks a lot for your explanation and sorry for from me for the extra work. Greets Dierk.

Return to “Race Day 4”