3, Group (colour):
Red

4. Race (number)

5. Time (in Replay):

6. Rule(s) applicable:

7. Boat(s) involved:
Alex TTW and BatBoat

8. Description:
Alex tacks around port gate with spinaker. and after the gate (closed hauled) Alex tacks from port to starboard. At 16.31 Alex is on starboard closed hauled. At 16.33 Alex luffs up (probably because he wants to avoid to pen his teammate SAF). At 16.36-16.38 Alex bears away. BatBoat is sailing with spinaker on starboard. At 16.38.62 BatBoat hits Alex. Even though Alex is right-of-way boat, Alex does not give BatBoat room to keep clear.

Alex should be DSQ because he is in violation with rule 16.1 and Alex might also be in violation of the team race rule.

9. Print Screen attached (required fo a manual protest):
Yes
ScreenShot39.bmp
ScreenShot39.bmp (7.91 MiB) Viewed 3767 times
10. Replay attached (recommended):
Yes
Attachments
Constipation Blues - MLS(03'01''86).Replay.Gbx
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 250 times
Wetstuff

Re: mls2021, raceday 1, group red, race 2, P

Post by Wetstuff »

Alx finished the tack @16:31 and there is less than 3 seconds before collision would occur, Saf is red on my radar and probably Alx would get a 15
This is the reason for the luff
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Facts:
Alx on stb tack luffs behind Saf.
Batboat on stb to windward sails straight without making any course changes and crashes with Alx 3.5 seconds later.

Conclusion:
Batboat did not keep clear and broke rule 11.
Batboat to be scored DSQ in the race.

Notes:
  • When Alx lufs, Batboat is entitled to room to keep clear under rule 16.1. But he is not entitled to more room than necessary. Since Batboat didn't even try to keep clear, he can not be exonerated under this rule.
  • There is no special team race rule in MLS. Normal rules applies between team mates. If Saf did not keep clear of Alx in this situation, then Saf has to be protested on the water (P Saf) and later in the forum the normal way. If the situation is a violation of rule 2, then no hail is necessary on the water, and a protest can be filed in the forum later. The PC did not find that Saf broke rule 2 in this situation, and since there was no protest on him on the water, we cannot take any action under the other rules.
MLS Protest Committee
Batboat

Post by Batboat »

I have great respect for your work concerning decisions in here and I admire that you all spend time on this for our pleasure.

I am writing because it seems as if you may have overlooked some significant matters in relation to the facts of the case.

It appears from the decision that something happens 3.5 seconds before the collision. 3.5 seconds is around 16.35. At this time Alx is luffing up (aft of SAF). If Alx had kept this course, then I would have stayed clear.

What instead happens is that Alx once again bears away (for the 2nd time) and thereby creates a collision course between us. And I have less than 1 second to decide whether to go port or starboard to avoid collision. In my opinion Alx is right-of-way boat, he is is changing course (massively) - and according to rule 16.1, he shall give me (BatBoat) room to keep clear.

I have made a short video comment here:

I'm not going to interfere in the outcome of the decision, but it seems that you may not have seen my replay.
I request that you see my replay and if necessary resume the case and the decision - with a different outcome.

Again........I admire your work and in any case I will respect your effort and decision! :)
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Hi,

We had seen your replay, and it didn't differ much from the host replay. The PC doesn't agree that you would have stayed clear if Alx didn't bear away. If Alx held his course after luffing, it seems like you would have hit bow to bow 3.5 seconds later. His bearing away can also be seen as an attempt to avoid hitting you bow to bow, and help you passing astern of him. The fact that he is bearing away doesn't mean that you don't need to take avoiding action. If you significantly changed course to starboard or port within reasonable time, and a collision occurred, then the penalty would have gone the other way.

The situation is close to a borderline, but the key point here is that you did not really take avoiding action during 3.5 seconds, which is why the penalty goes against you.

PS! Thank you for your respectful and professional approach.

Harald
PC Chairman

Return to “Race Day 1”