1. Your registered Boat Name: euphoria

2. Race Day: 2

3, Group (colour): Red

4. Race (number): 1

5. Time (in Replay): 11:40

6. Rule(s) applicable: 13 and 16.1

7. Boat(s) involved: euphoria and Fiducit

8. Description:

(Since there is significant lag involved, I will request that my replay is used for examination of the situation. See MLS Rule 2.5 "Each boat will be judged based on their own replays" and MLS Rule 3.1.6 "The PC will use the replay of the boat examined for breaking a rule as the primary source of information".)

euphoria on starboard, Fiducit on port. I luff at the same time Fiducit begins to bear away to pass behind Clande. When I pass head to wind, Fiducit is "aiming" behind my stern, which means I'm initially keeping clear when I'm under rule 13, see snapshot:

fiducit.png
fiducit.png (481.42 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

Then suddenly Fiducit's boat jumps due to extra ordinary lag and as a result luffs fast. 3/10 of a second later I get a 13 pen from the VSK Umpire. The hard luff activates rule 16.1 and I need to be given room to keep clear. This happens so sudden and fast that it's impossible for me to react and turn the boat the other way within 1 second. In the end I passed in front of Fiducit, which means I was, if necessary, given room to keep clear. I probably was keeping clear anyway, as Fiducit could sail his course without hitting me.

9. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):

10. Replay attached (recommended):
MLS 14-04.Replay.Gbx
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 160 times
steviekouris

Re: Red Race 1, euphoria cancelled a penalty

Post by steviekouris »

Facts Found:

This extraordinary lag is a change of course by Fiducit.

Conclusions:
When Fiducit, the right of way boat, changed course due to lag he had to give room to Euphoria to keep clear, which he did as required by RRS 16.1

Decision:
No rule broken
Pen cancel is accepted

The protest committee

Return to “Race Day 2”