Submission Type:

1. Your registered Boat Name: Spirillen

2. Race Day: 3

3. Group: Red

4. Race : 3

5. Time (in Replay): 12:20

6. Rule(s) applicable: RRS 2 + 10

7. Skipper(s) involved: Carly, DennisConnor, Kenny

8. Description: Carly on port and on layline, mark to left to port. DC and Kenny on starboard, and fetching the mark. DC and Kenny both gets completely stopped by Carly. Carly rounds the mark, haft way to next mark takes the pen turn, but still in the top 10. DC and Kenny rounds in the last two places.

9. Print Screen attached:not required for rule 2 protest.

10. Replay attached: no, host should fine.
Jammy Dodger

Re: MLS S9 D3 R3 Red, protest rule 2.

Post by Jammy Dodger »

Reply sent on behalf of Carly Master:

According to my replay Soren, see attached, I have observes the following facts:

Carly and DC approaching windward mark on port, Carly to windward, inside boat and ahead. Kenny approaches the mark on starboard, very low on layline with a slim chance to make rounding withought passing head to wind.

DC does not ask for RTT.
DC enters the zone on port and passes HTW inside the zone. Therefore is under RRS 13 and 18.2 with Carly and 10, 13 and 18.3 with Kenny. DC never completes his tack to a close hauled course, so breaks RRS 10 and 13 with Kenny. DC cannot go close hauled because he would make contact with Kenny and would not make the mark so he holds his bow close to HTW in a vein attempt to make the mark. Eventually Kenny makes 2 significant contacts with DC twice accelerating DC (see replay in slow motion) into Carlys stern, giving Carly no chance of keeping clear of DC. But as DC has not completed his tack and enters the zone on port DC breaks 13 and 18.2 with Carly. Carly receives a pen 10 from DC. DC then hits the mark and gets a 31.1.

In light of viewing my replay, I believe DC breaks rule 2 by deliberately forcing his boat into a position where he has no chance of 1 making the mark or 2 avoiding infringing boats around him with ROW. Furthermore DC only does 1 360 to exonerate himself hitting the mark.

Therefore I ask for redress since taking my 360 for the imo incorrect pen 10 from DC. I believe I had good chance of crossing DC's bow if he completes his tack to starboard and doesn't have a double boost from kenny into my stern.
Attachments
Carly v DC 04.Gbx
(5.15 MiB) Downloaded 783 times
DennisConner

Post by DennisConner »

I completely agree with Ben's statement! I totally misjudged the situation and should have gone behind the 2 starboard boats. Lack of training and a bad view from the top lead to this stupid behaviour. Therefore I would like to retire from this race.

Big sorry for the circumstances!

Greetz,
Florian
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Please apply the following rules as they may apply to me.

1. Kenny enters the zone of the first weather mark on STB tack.
2. DennisConner (known as DC from this point forward) enters the zone of the first weather mark on Port tack.
3. DC tacks to STB in the zone of the first weather mark (leeward of Kenny).
4. It is questionable if DC ever complies with RRS 15 as he luffs immediately after reaching what may be close hauled.
5. DC luffs above close hauled which would then force Kenny to do the same.
6. DC's luff may break RRS 18.3
7. DC passes Head-to-Wind no less than 4 times while in the zone of the 1st weather mark.
8. It may be argued that I (Kenny) broke RRS 11 while in the zone to which I'd ask the RC to apply RRS 21.

RRS 14 reads in its entirety (in the 2017-2020 World Sailing Rule Book): 14 AVOIDING CONTACT
"A boat shall avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible. However, a right-of-way boat or one entitled to room or mark-room
(a) need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear or giving room or mark-room, and
(b) shall be exonerated if she breaks this rule and the contact does not cause damage or injury."

RRS 21 reads in its entirety (in the 2017-2020 World Sailing Rule Book):
"When a boat is sailing within the room or mark-room to which she is entitled,
she shall be exonerated if, in an incident with a boat required to give her that room or mark-room,
(a) she breaks a rule of Section A, rule 15 or rule 16, or
(b) she is compelled to break rule 31."

I'd also ask for redress if the PC/RC finds it warranted.

Thank you

Kenny
Legsy

Post by Legsy »

Facts:

Carlymaster breaks rrs10 and soon after, makes a 360 to clear her penalty.
By failing to call RTT and the way DennisConner positionned her boat after tacking, DennisConner gave no chance to Carlymaster to keep clear of her.

Decision:
No action against Carlymaster.

For multiple breach of rss (13-15-18) : DennisConner is DNE - His proposal to retire from this race (other post) : REJECTED.

Kenny given redress as 4 points

PC for MLS

Return to “Race Day 3”