Season 11, Race Day 4, Group Blue, Race 11, Cancel Explanation on behalf of Excalibur

Moderators: Protest Committee, Race Committee

euphoria

Season 11, Race Day 4, Group Blue, Race 11, Cancel Explanation on behalf of Excalibur

Post by euphoria »

Submission Type: C

1.Your registered Boat Name: Excalibur

2.Race Day: 4

3.Group (colour): Blue

4.Race (number): 11

5.Time (in Replay): 30:37

6.Rule(s) applicable: 10

7.Skipper(s) involved: Excalibur and Wetstuff

8.Description: Excalibur gybes to stb at 30:32.80. Wetstuff on port decides to luff to keep clear. Apparently he is about to pass astern, then he bears away in the final moments and hits Excalibur at 30:37.30, 4.5 seconds after Excalibur gybed. If he did not bear away, Wetstuff would have kept clear. But more important, the best way to keep clear for Wetstuff in this situation was to gybe, even though this may have been a tactically worse option. It's risky to keep clear by turning towards the other boat rather than away from it. Wetstuff did a penalty turn and wrote 360 done in the chat. All timestamps in this post is from the replay of Excalibur.

9.Print Screen attached (required for a valid PROTEST):

10.Replay attached (optional):
MLS 11-11-Excalibur.Replay.Gbx
(2.89 MiB) Downloaded 366 times
Wetstuff

Re: Season 11, Race Day 4, Group Blue, Race 11, Cancel Explanation on behalf of Excalibur

Post by Wetstuff »

Your timestamps unless we have totally different replays are wrong. I would be interested to see those "4.5 seconds"

Excalibur completes her gybe (spinnaker sheeted in) at 30:36 and there is not even 1sec before Wetstuff has to take avoiding action

I believe the Nadeo ump got it right and assigned the 15, at the time I had not a clear view and therefore took the 360 anyway

euphoria

Re: Season 11, Race Day 4, Group Blue, Race 11, Cancel Explanation on behalf of Excalibur

Post by euphoria »

Hi Wetstuff,

My timestamps are not wrong, and I attached the replay to the original post so you can see for yourself. It seem slike you are mixing match racing rules and fleet racing rules. In fleet race there are no such thing as "completed gybe". You are instantly on starboard tack as soon as the wind is blowing on your starboard side, unless you are sailing by the lee. It is not possible to sail by the lee in VSK...

Harald
PC Admin

Post by PC Admin »

Facts :
> Excalibur and Wetstuff are on port (downwind)
> Excalibur gybes, and Wetstuff luffs in order to pass behind Excalibur
> Nadeo give RRS15 to Excalibur from Wetstuff
> There is a collision between both skippers at 30:37:02
> Wetstuff accepts pen cancel from Excalibur, and Wetstuff does 1x 360

Decision :
> Wetstuff has plenty of time to react, so RRS15 is wrong
> Excalibur's explanation ACCEPTED
> Wetstuff breaks RRS10, but he does his 360
> No further action

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 4”