MLS 11 - Day 4 - Pen Cancels & Manual Pens - 2020-04-07

Moderators: Protest Committee, Race Committee

PC Admin

MLS 11 - Day 4 - Pen Cancels & Manual Pens - 2020-04-07

Post by PC Admin »

MLS Season11 Day4, Cancel Requests, Manual Protests and Redress Requests 2020-04-07
Cancel/Protest Boat asking/protesting Boat cancelling/protested Rule Comment

Blue Group
Race 1, San Francisco Bay Blues-MLS

C Larsvegas/NOR Team Goffe/Loyal Sailing 15 Explanation dismissed. Larsvegas DSQ.

Race 2, Jailhouse Rock-MLS
C Excalibur/NOR Team Wetstuff/TTW Good Guys 15 Cancel Request at 28:46. Wetstuff: “360 done” at 29:03. (Times in game). Explanation OK. No further action.

Race 3, Midsommarvaka 2-MLS
P Wetstuff/TTW Good Guys Larsvegas/NOR Team Wetstuff not racing. No Protest submitted = + 1p.

Green Group

No Issues in Race 1

C Jimi/French Magic Valodea/Expendables 16.1 Explanation OK.
P Jimi/French Magic Valodea/Expendables Jimi writes: “Mast hit”. Valodea DSQ.

C Jimi/French Magic Frenito/BZH Connection 13 Explanation OK. Frenito DSQ.

Red Group

C Egon/POL-VSC Petter/TTW Bad Guys 15 Explanation OK. Petter DSQ.
C Samuel/TTW Bad Guys Donmasino/Italian Wolves 11 Explanation OK.
P Samuel/TTW Bad Guys Donmasino/Italian Wolves Protest withdrawn. No further action.

C Albervita/Italian Wolves Tiki/Lupidimare 15 Explanation dismissed. Albervita DSQ.
P Clande/Lupidimare Siwy/POL-VSC Protest at 14:57. Siwy writes: “360 done” at 16:22. (Times in game). No further action.

C Petter/TTW Bad Guys Carly Master/TTW Bad Guys Rule ?? Explanation OK. Carly Master DSQ.
C Duffy/Jedi Albervita/Italian Wolves 18.2a Explanation OK. Albervita DSQ.
P Legsy/TTW Bad Guys Zee/POL-VSC Protest upheld. Zee-POL DSQ.
C Legsy/TTW Bad Guys Zee/POL-VSC 10 Explanation OK.
C Zee/POL-VSC Orione/Lupidimare 10 No Protest submitted. Zee-Pol + 1p.
C Legsy/TTW Bad Guys Zee/POL-VSC 10 Same as C two lines above.

NEW
P MLS PC vs Zee/POL-VSC 2 Zee-POL DNE.
Wetstuff

Re: MLS 11 - Day 4 - Pen Cancels & Manual Pens - 2020-04-07

Post by Wetstuff »

P Wetstuff/TTW Good Guys Larsvegas/NOR Team Wetstuff not racing. No Protest submitted = + 1p.
If Wetstuff is not participating in a race and therefore cannot protest a boat, how does he have to submit a protest?
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Hi,

You wrote P Boatname without being part of the race, so you have three options according to the MLS rules:
- post in the forum to withdraw the protest, and no penalty point will be added
- file the protest in the forum, and 1 point will be added for invalid protest
- do nothing, and 1 point will be added for not submitting a protest

Harald
Wetstuff

Post by Wetstuff »

euphoria wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 pm Hi,

You wrote P Boatname without being part of the race, so you have three options according to the MLS rules:
- post in the forum to withdraw the protest, and no penalty point will be added
- file the protest in the forum, and 1 point will be added for invalid protest
- do nothing, and 1 point will be added for not submitting a protest

Harald

I have no interest in continuing this argument but all the above options refer presumably to a boat that is entitled to a protest.
So you are saying that a boat that is not actually entitled to a protest has to file a protest form as if she was entitled?

Anyway
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

That is not literally what the MLS rules are saying. You better ask yourself why you protested, instead of complaining about receiving an insignificant 1 point penalty by the book from the RC. Or you may request redress.

Harald
Wetstuff

Post by Wetstuff »

I'm not sure if you reply as Euphoria or on behalf of the PC, it appears there is already a PC Admin account for the purpose of communicating to/from the protest committee

The rules do not say that a boat that is not entitled to protest another boat should in any case file a documented protest, do they?

As I'm spectating the race and you coming from port to round the mark, I see Larsvegas on starboard luffing above close hauled.
After the race I realise 1. You would have narrowly passed 2. It used to be the fact in MLS that a boat NOT participating in a race but from a team racing could protest against Rule 2. This is not the case anymore, for this I apologise to PC for not reading the specific rule change

Now I also realise that you are willing to take this argument forever, because seems this is what you do, but I am just pointing out that to my opinion a boat that is not entitled to protest is not required to file any sort of documentation or take this protest further as by definition his protest is null

/end
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

I'm communicating as myself, signed with my name, I don't represent anyone for this matter. I just wanted to help. Answering your question is not arguing. And the 1 point you got is given by the RC. The PC is not involved with that.

Now I will answer your specific question:
- "The rules do not say that a boat that is not entitled to protest another boat should in any case file a documented protest, do they?"

This is what the rule says:
- "If a skipper hailing P Skipper Name, does not submit a protest,or if the protest is not valid, or if the protest is not upheld, 1 point will be added to his/her score."

I guess you are claiming your are not a skipper. You are a skipper, but you are not a skipper in this race.
And there is a rule differing the two:
- "Skippers that comes to the pre-start in order to participate in a race, may at any time during a race protest against another boat in the race by writing "P Skipper Name" in the game chat."

I think 1 point is a cheap penalty for abusing the chat. In worst case, the boat you protested could have taken a penalty turn just to not risk a DSQ.

I'm glad you came to the conclusion that no rule was broken in that situation, but I would like to remind you that this is a team event, and sailing in a way to benefit the team is not a violation of rule 2. See this protest as an example on a "team move" that was not penalized by the PC. I did by the way observe a team move by your team that night, but did of course not have any problem with that.

Harald
Toppen

Post by Toppen »

Hello Wetstuff,

This situation already occurred during MLS season 8 with WST team (Season 8 - Race 8) :
Sailor-Ger protest as a spectator.PNG
Sailor-Ger protest as a spectator.PNG (119.63 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
Sailor-Ger protested as a spectator, did not submit any claims on the forum after the races, and was added 1 point.

Thank you in advance for your understanding, and for accepting your point (which here has no influence on the result of your team).

See you
Toppen

Return to “Race Day 4”