Submission Type: E

1.Your registered Boat Name:JohnPap hdt Fishing Team

2.Race Day:1

3.Group (colour):blue

4.Race (number):3

5.Time (in Replay):2:04:90

6.Rule(s) applicable:16.1

7.Boat(s) involved:JohnPap - ParXifal

8.Description:I sail on Stb on the start line leeward of Parxifal. Parxifal is under 31.1 and stoped on RC boat. I pass clear without contact and avoiding PARXIFAL for not slowing me down. Nadeo gives me a 16.1 and i beleive that it is wrong. I asked cansel and Parxifal canceled it. In the meantime after i saw my replay at 1:59 Euphoria is under 11 with contact and nadeo does not give any pen. I did not lost speed and i did not noticed anything in the race so i did not protest.

9.Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):

10.Replay attached (required):y
Attachments
Second Skin(29'21''48).Replay.Gbx
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
euphoria

Re: mls2020, raceday1, group blue, race 3, E

Post by euphoria »

Since I'm mentioned by JohnPap, I'm attaching my replay under MLS Rule 2.5 in case my actions are evaluated to be a part of the situation. Please use this source of information when applying the rules on me. In my opinion, there are 3 situations that are independent of each other:

1. Parxifal and euphoria: At 1:53, there is no room for Parxifal to pass between me and the committee boat. I bear away and Parxifal also bear away, instead of luffing to increase distance. He is kind of lucky, as my stern pass over his hull, there is no contact, so he was not breaking rule 11. However, he hit the committee boat and got a pen for that, so it doesn't matter. But my point is that I didn't break rule 16.1 because there initially was no room to go inside and I didn't hit him. No protest, not part of situation 3, nothing to consider.

2. JohnPap and euphoria: Just after I stop bearing away at 1:58, JohnPap establish overlap to leeward of me because he has much more speed. The overlap is very close and I'm on a much lower course, so there is nothing I can do to avoid contact, which occurs 0.9 seconds after there is an overlap. I did not break rule 16.1 by bearing away, because there was never enough space for JohnPap to keep clear to windward of me, and by bearing away I didn't make it more difficult for him to keep clear to leeward of me. He continued straight and broke rule 15 for not giving me room to keep clear after he became overlapped . I do however not think this is related to the final situation between Parxifal and JohnPap, so in my opinion this 2nd situation should neither be considered by the protest committee.

3. JohnPap and Parxifal: Contact occurred 5 seconds after situation 2, and contact was avoidable independent of situation 1 and 2, so situation 3 is in my opinion the only thing for the protest committee to consider.

I will not take part in the protest committee for this hearing, as it's not clear whether I'm part of the case or not.

Harald / euphoria
Attachments
MLS 12-03.Replay.Gbx
(3.17 MiB) Downloaded 292 times
Johnpap71

Post by Johnpap71 »

Sorry but i had to answer on this also.

In case 2 there is becoming overlap because of euphoria action by bearing , so no 15.

"unless she acquires right of way because of the other boats action" (the last setence of rrs15)

Agree that this situation have nothing to do with the explenation for canceling 16.1 and was mentioned more like question about how is it possible vsk not to give pen in contact and wondering if the lag between players from different countrys is bigger than we thought.
PC Admin

Post by PC Admin »

Facts:
JohnPap establish an overlap to leeward of Parxifal when Parxifal is pointing at the center of the Committee Boat, 1.5 boat widths away from it. JohnPap is pointing 1 boat width to leeward of the committee boat. Parxifal bears away and hits the committee boat. Before Parxifal has cleared the committee boat, JohnPap makes a small luff and hits Parxifal. JohnPap gets a 16.1-penalty from the VSK umpire which he cancels. Parxifal makes a penalty turn.

Conclusion:
When JohnPap established the overlap, it was not enough room for Parxifal to pass between him and the Committee Boat. It was possible for Parxifal to keep clear by passing to windward of the Commitee Boat. Parxifal broke rule 11 and rule 31 in the same situation, and shall only take one penalty turn, which he did. When JohnPap luffed, he was not able to give Parxifal room to keep clear, as Parxifal was already "not keeping clear", hence JohnPap did not break rule 16.1. Cancellation accepted.

Note:
The preceding situations were independent situations, as they neither influenced Parxifals ability to pass to windward of the Committee boat or the collision between JohnPap and Parxifal, hence not to be considered in this case.

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 1”