4.Race (number):

5.Time (in Replay):
28.02-28.05

6.Rule(s) applicable:
Rule 2 and 62.1

7.Boat(s) involved:
Batboat and Nick-Cromit

8.Description:
Batboat is on starboard on close hauled. Nick is on port heading towards gate. Nick must keep clear, cf. rule 10.

Nick bear away and hits Batboat. Nick receives (umpire) penalty, rule 10. The incident causes Batboat to loose almost all speed and Batboat therefore lose at least 5 seats, which is why I request a redress.

Nick takes his punishment, but it is my opinion that Nick is committing an intentional, deliberate and illegal action against me. The reason is an event 1 minute earlier (time: 26.28). This incident consists of Batboat luffs up and Nick receives a penalty, cf. rule 11.

I perceive Nick as a skilled sailor and have good sportsmanship - nevertheless, I think this episode is covered by Rule 2.

9.Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):
Yes
ScreenShot30.bmp
ScreenShot30.bmp (7.91 MiB) Viewed 3471 times
10.Replay attached (required):
Yes
Attachments
Shallow-MLS(03'01''58).Replay.Gbx
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
Albervita

Re: MLS season 12, day 2, group green, race 6, Batboat vs Nick, E+RD

Post by Albervita »

Albervita (captain) on behalf of Nick
Nick's behavior is for sure reprehensible but try to pass the previous Batboat maneuver as a simple luff (45 degrees ...) seems to me simply ridiculous. I recommended to my Team to be fair and to speed the boat rather than use the rules to gain advantage. Evidently the captain of another team gave other indications (see for example in the same race the downwind mark at 16 17 where, despite having left ample room for maneuver, the search for a penalty was evident).
In summary, we would like to race for fun. If someone deliberately seeks other purposes, he risks being alone in the future.
Thanks for your attention
PC Admin

Post by PC Admin »

Facts:
BatBoat on close-hauled on starboard in 9th place in the race.
Nick-Cromit was on port on downwind, about to pass just to windward of Batboat.
When the boats were only a few meters apart, Nick-Cromit beard away forcing a bow to bow collision.
Nick-Cromit received VSK penalty under rule 10.
Batboat was completly stopped.
Nick-Cromit took a penalty turn.

Conclusion:
Nick-Cromit deliberately broke rule 10, hence broke also rule 2.
Nick-Cromit to be scored DNE in the race.
Batboat given redress, to be scored 9 points in the race.

MLS Protest Committee
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Albervita wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 pm Nick's behavior is for sure reprehensible but try to pass the previous Batboat maneuver as a simple luff (45 degrees ...) seems to me simply ridiculous.
If the previous maneuver of Batboat with Nick was bad, then you/he has two options:
1. Cancel the penalty, submit an explanation - the PC will then evaluate the situation and DSQ any of the boats who have broken a rule
2. Take the penalty but write "P Batboat" and submit a protest - the PC will then evaluate the situation and DSQ Batboat if he broke a rule (16.1).
Evidently the captain of another team gave other indications (see for example in the same race the downwind mark at 16 17 where, despite having left ample room for maneuver, the search for a penalty was evident).
The same advice as for Nick applies here.

Regards Harald,
Chairman of the Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 2”