Submission Type: Cancel Expalanation

1.Your registered Boat Name: Steviekouris

2.Race Day: 3

3.Group (colour): Green

4.Race (number): 3

5.Time (in Replay): 22:01 app

6.Rule(s) applicable: 13, 15, 16

7.Boat(s) involved: Duffy

8.Description: I had just rounded the mark sailing on port on the reach ... Duffy who was at the mark started luffing and the tacking in order to round the mark. While tacking he creates an overlap with me. Then immediately he started luffing again towards me creating immediately contact....thus giving me no room at all to keep clear. Also probably he never completed his tack.
I got a penalty from NADEO umpire for RRS 15 even though i was just sailing my straight course to the next mark

9.Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):

10.Replay attached (required):
Attachments
MLS_S12_Day3_ServerGreen_Race3.Replay.Gbx
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 262 times
duffy

Re: Season 12 Race Day 3 Group Green Race 3 - Cancel Explanation

Post by duffy »

I have attached my replay of MLS 12-9 Cool Canucks.Replay.Gbx

Reviewing my replay I can see:
First Steviekouris was tacking from starboard to port passing the wind ward mark, and then Duffy tacked from starboard to port passing the mark, and after passing HTW Duffy was at no moment luffing; but only bearing away.
Duffy finished the tack to port and therfore no longer subject to rule 13; but now Steviekouris (windward) and Duffy (leward).
At 22:03 while Steviekouris still was bearing away to get on course to next mark Steviekouris got in my opinion a correct penalty.
Attachments
MLS 12-9 Cool Canucks.Replay.Gbx
(3.17 MiB) Downloaded 276 times
PC Admin

Re: Season 12 Race Day 3 Group Green Race 3 - Cancel Explanation

Post by PC Admin »

Facts:
Steviekouris clear ahead of Duffy, tacks wide from starboard to port around the mark.
Duffy follows and passes head to wind overlapped to leeward of Steviekouris who has completed his tack.
Duffy completes his tack to windward of the mark and just to leeward of Steviekouris.
Duffy continues straight and hits him on leeward side near the stern.
Steviekouris got a penalty from the VSK umpire, which he cancelled.

Conclusion:
When Duffy passed HTW and was overlapped inside Steviekouris, he was entitled to mark-room under rule 18.2(a).
Steviekouris gave Duffy mark-room, as Duffy could continue his turn around the mark towards the next mark.
Duffy broke rule 15, as he did not give Steviekouris room to keep clear after completing his tack.
Steviekouris is exonerated under rule 21(a) as he sailed within the room he was entitled to under rule 15.
Duffy is not exonerated for breaking rule 15, as he did not sail within the mark-room he was entitled to under rule 18.
Duffy to be scored DSQ in the race.

MLS Protest Committee

Return to “Race Day 3”