Post by steviekouris »

Submission Type: Cancel Explanation

1. Your registered boat name: Steviekouris Pending Team

2. Group: Red

3. Race (number): 1

4. Time of incident (in replay): 13:57:56

5. Rule(s) applicable: 11, 43.3(a)

6. Boat(s) involved: Fiducit, Piotr

7. Description: I was sailing on starboard, overlapped to windward of Piotr. Fiducit, on port, started luffing close to Piotr and there was a mast hit that caused a move of Piotr's hull to windward and nadeo umpire fave me a penalty. I am asking to cancel this penalty as I was compelled to break a rule (11) as a consequence of another boat's breach of rule 10 and therefore i think i am exonerated under 43.3(a)

8. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest):
Attachments
Lover's Cross 2(03'01''74).Replay.Gbx
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
Fiducit III

Re: MLS S15 - Day 2 - Red Server - Race 1 - Cancel Explanation

Post by Fiducit III »

During my tack from Port to Stb, I hit the mast of Piotr. Therefor I did a 360 degree penalty turn and wrote in chat 360.done.
Fiducit III
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Facts:
For the situation, see the description from Steviekouris.
The turn was initially a 270 including a gybe, then Fiducit bore away before he tacked on the layline.

Conslusion:
Steviekouris broke RRS Rule 11 but is exonerated because it was a consequence of Piotr braking RRS Rule 16.1 who is exonerated because it was a consequence of Fiducit braking RRS Rule 10. Fiducit did not make a one-turn penalty as per RRS Rule 44.2.

Decision:
Fiducit is disqualified in the race.

The protest committee
Fiducit III

Post by Fiducit III »

Dear PC, would you please explain to me, why I am dsq? In the decision is written, I did a 360.as RRS 44.2 requires. I would appreciate an answer, just to learn. Cheers Dierk
euphoria

Post by euphoria »

Hi Dierk,

Sorry, there was an error in the wording of the conclusion. I wrote "Fiducit did make a one-turn penalty as per RRS Rule 44.2". I missed the word "not" in there, this has been fixed now.

The reason for the turn not being in accordance with RRS Rule 44.2 is written in the facts. You only did a "270-turn" counter clockwise. Apparently you realized that you would not fetch the mark if you completed the "360" in the same spot, so you stopped the movement and turned clockwise down to closehauled on port. When you reached the layline you made the final tack. When a turn is not continuous, then it's invalid. Unfortunately this is an absolute requirement, no room for being "reasonable" :cry:. There is an RYA Case describing this.

Harald
Fiducit III

Post by Fiducit III »

Hi Harald. Thanks for the explanation and you are totally right. I didn't turn continuously and so it wasn't a correct penalty turn according to the rules.
Cheers
Dierk

Return to “Race Day 2”