PC
1. Your registered Boat Name: Balder

2. Race Day: 3

3, Group (colour): Red

4. Race (number): 3 (9)

5. Time (in Replay): 20:17:50

6. Rule(s) applicable: 11 and 16.1

7. Boat(s) involved: Duffy

8. Description: After port rounding of top mark, setting spinnaker. Observes uneven steering of Duffy. I'm sailing high to keep my distance from Duffy. Duffy also sails high. Suddenly Duffy is luffing fast and it's impossible for me to avoid contact. From my view he was breaking rule 16.1. If this was due to lag, he may also be exonerated, if his replay show a slow luff.

PS! Please use my attached replay when examining my actions.

9. Print Screen attached (required for a manual protest): No

10. Replay attached (recommended): Yes
Attachments
Undertow 2(03'01''59).Replay.Gbx
(3.67 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
duffy

Re: Day 3 Red server Race 9 - Balder - Cancellation explanation

Post by duffy »

I cancelled rule 11 penalty to Balder, because SI requires of me to do so, not because I necessarily agree with Balder's request for cancellation.
Actually I disagree with Balder. Penalty for breaking rule 11 is - in my opinion - correct.

After passing the mark both Balder and Duffy gybed to port tack - leaving Duffy with a leeward overlap to Balder.
Aft of me and windward to me with no overlap Orione also had gybed to port tack, and Oriene was beginning to cover me.
To defend for position I luffed very slowly to port to preserve my free wind from Orione leaving Balder with enough time to follow the luff.
I was very concerned about leaving the necessary space and time for Balder to follow the luff.
In my opinion Balder had all the needed time and space to follow the luff. Balder not doing that, resulted in a correct rule 11 penalty to Balder.
laj2

Post by laj2 »

Speaking on behalf of Magnar/Balder as his team captain:
I checked now both the replay from Balder and the host.
On Balder's replay, there is an instant luff from Doffy, Balder could not avoid. This replay should exonerate Balder due to big lag.
On the host replay, the luff is slower and less lag. There is infact no contact. This replay should exonerate Duffy as he gave Balder room by bearing away.

Lars / Laj2
duffy

Post by duffy »

I attach my Replay of MLS 14-3-3 Undertow.

PC can examine different replays, but please observe these replay times:
20:09:86 Balder and Duffy have finished gybing and are both on steady courses.
20:12:00 to 20:13:00: Duffy luffs up slowly and clearfully - Balder does not follow up on my replay
20:13:00 to 20:15:50: Duffy holds a steady course - Balder does not luff up to stay clear on my replay
20:15:50 to 20:17.15: Duffy luffs up slowly and clearfully - Balder does not follow up on my replay
20:17:15 til 20:17:39: Duffy bears away
20:17:19: Balder gets a rule 11 penalty - in my opnion correctly.
Attachments
MLS 14-3-3 Undertow 2.Replay.Gbx
(3.68 MiB) Downloaded 163 times
steviekouris

Post by steviekouris »

Facts found:
Balder replay:

Duffy replay:

Conclusions:
When Duffy, the RoW boat, changes course she has to give room to Balder to keep clear, as required by RRS 16.1, which he does by bearing away immediately.
Balder breaks RRS 11 but he is exonerated because he is sailing within the room entitled to, under 43.1(b).

Decision:
Pen Cancel is accepted. No further action.

Return to “Race Day 3”