D1 .. R1 .. RED .. Protest

Post by Blummin Ol'Messer »

Submission Type:

1. Your registered Boat Name: Blummin Ol'Messer

2. Race Day #: 1

3. Group: Red

4. Race #: 1

5. Time (in Replay): 38:20 in the video linked below

6. Rule(s) applicable: Rule 2 and Redress (for flying swede)

7. Skipper(s) involved: Nosail vs Blummin vs Flying Swede

8. Description: I gave Nosail lots of room to come inside and tack around the mark. I was luffing quite early to allow room and for this reason I was losing speed. When Nosail came to the mark he took A LOT more room than needed to force me back to HTW which took away all speed I had left and stopped me in irons. At this point i lost control of the boat and could not avoid boats coming on STB. This maneuver from Ralph in my opinion caused the collision between Flying Swede and myself. This is in my opinion, unfair of Nosail and unfair to the fleet. I am asking for Rule 2 against Nosail and redress for Flying Swede.

9. Print Screen attached (required for a valid PROTEST): I recorded the race, refer to the video below

10. Replay attached (optional):
Wetstuff

Re: D1 .. R1 .. RED .. Protest

Post by Wetstuff »

Hi Chris I think you got the replay timing wrong, in case of getting this protest dismissed I have now protested in turn with hopefully correct facts
Blummin Ol'Messer

No, the timing is correct. I did not post the replay time. I posted the time in the video that I linked which is a recording from my stream on twitch.
Fix oder Nix

Post by Fix oder Nix »

Blummin Ol'Messer

lol
Legsy

Post by Legsy »

Facts:
Nosail didn't do anything wrong, and it wasn't unfair sailing. Nosail could have forced BLM to tack, and thereby getting advantage over BLM, without loosing anything himself. Also BLM didn't do anything, to keep clear of no sail, and because of the contact, completely stopped flying.

Further more, Protest is not valid, because the wrong time is given, it SHALL be the replay time, and not game time. Also, it's not the up to the PC, to look thru a video to find a protest call.

Decision:
BLM DNE for breaking RRS 2+10+13.
No action on Nosail.

Legsy for MLS PC
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

World Sailing's case #9 covers this exact situation. There is no rule compelling the STB boat to tack at this mark and as such, the stand-on boat (STB) may use rules (RRS 10 in this situation) to her tactical advantage as it forces the keep-clear boat (port) to tack at least 2 additional times to keep clear.
Blummin Ol'Messer

I understand the 10 and the 13 but R2 and DNE?

Saying that I "didn't do anything to keep clear" is simply false. I made all efforts to give plenty of space prior to the mark to give space and keep clear from No Sail. Correct, I did not complete a tack in the end on the assumption that he would tack with the ample room I had created with all of my luffing prior (my mistake). I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that I was sailing unfairly and dish me a DNE over a DSQ. I created an unfortunate situation for myself and was unable to keep clear (due to my lack of BS) of Flying Swede (hense asking for redress for him) but to be given a R2 ontop of that and a DNE is pretty harsh.

I'm not an unfair skipper and my intention was not to lose so much speed in trying to avoid that I would be helpless against other STB boats.

Return to “Race Day 1”